Saturday 14 July 2007

Sardinia June 2007

I was searching through Ryans Air's destinations at work searching for the elusive 1p flights and found a return flight to Sardinia (Alghero) from my home airport of East midlands. Total cost with taxes and with one bag £50.

Now I've never been or ever expected to go to Sardinia, simply because other places were a priority, but where Ryan Air goes I go, so after a bit of research it began to look like a secret little Gem and I was not let down, I can assure you I will be visiting sardinia again real soon.....if you make the effort the rewards are all over the Island.



I arrived at 4pm hired a car £235 (7 Days unlimited full Insurance)I got the full insurance, now I know I know I can drive safely but I'ts the dam Italians (Sardinians) that cant period !! As well as the road signs being beyond ridicule, they are a joke, the Italians have no idea how to manage a road system, I got stuck in one mountain village (Nouro) for 45 minutes!!

I had a rough intenery but essentially was as free as a bird - I stayed on the beach in my Bivvy for two nights, I stayed in 2 different mountain ranches (Refugios)and a swanky Hotel for two nights in Cala Gonone, my first night after bit of haggling was in Alghero.

My Itenary was -

Algero - one night
Lido Orri - 2 nights on the beach....awesome
Chiesa San Pietro / (Hike 1) Cala Goloritze - Staying in the Refugio...
Cala Gonone - (Hike 2) Cala Luna return on foot... - Hotel Luna 2 nights.
Oliena - (Hike 3) Summit of Nidos 1348M - Cooperative ENIS Hotel
Stintino / Cappo Caccia (hiked to the bottom and back up!!!) return car/airport.

I had a great time adventuring around as always and have to say that it is a beautiful Island it was blistering heat the whole week while you lot were getting soaked ha ha...and I have never swam in water so transparent in all my life.....take a look.



Above Cala luna and below Cala Goloritz - Hours of swimming and diving..



These places were hiked to, and although you can get to some of the beaches by car most are only accessable on foot or by boat, making them feel more personal.

OK I am having a nightmare with FlickR and passwords so go to the link and when the picks change to Tenerife just close the window other wise it will show you every dam picture in my account, luckily the first ones to come up are of Sardinia, the video will show you more...

Go here for the pictures on FlickR -

Sardinian Slide show

No comments: