Wednesday 26 March 2008

Edinburgh Marathon (Part 1)

Hi all, over the last two years I have started running, I have completed a Half Marathon in each of those years and its those events that have given me the running bug. My times were mediocre but I achieved what I had set out to do, in the early days even stepping out of the door was hard enough let alone running 13 Miles.. I had to learn to run in the first few months....but that seems a long time ago now...

So we are now in 2008 and I felt like another stupid challenge and let me assure you I have picked one hell of a bloody stupid one, this year which I have my 39th and 40th Birthdays, I have decided to do two Marathons - Why, I don't bloody know do I why does anyone? a challenge I guess? to say I can or have, to say I know what the experience involves from start to finish, not just ponder about it....which is what too many do nowadays..

I have entered the Edinburgh Marathon first and the second is also in Scotland in October at Loch Ness..anyway back to Edin... I have taken on an 18 week training schedule which I have ignored to the letter as you cant do this shcedule and have a normal job and a normal life, but I have acheived the mileage and increased my pace...to assist me in this I have bought a Garmin Forerunner 305 which I can highly recommend. This device has assited me in knowing my exact pace and also has the invaluable HR monitor.

I am at present half way through the training and have done a little video as expressing how bloody hard this is with some pictures and views of the routes i run.

The thing I would really like to express here is that a Marathon is like no other competitve race, in fact for mere mortals its not even a race, just an event a indurance event and the only person most of us will be competing against (me included) is our selves and our stupidly set over optimistic time we wish to complete it in....mine is 3:45:00 - you may ask where did i get this well stupid optimisim and arrogance came into it but also the simple calculation of adding my two best HM times together, seemed fair enough to me.

The training has brought its own great results though, for example I have beaten my HM time in training and got a 1:47:00 I have also just beaten my 10K time in a run on sunday at Thorney near Peterborough and gor a time of 44:41 and a sub 45 min 10K for an old boy appraoching his Vet Catergory real soon is very good indeed. So the benefits are beginning to show and i am sure over the next year or so things will only get better.

One of the main downsides to high mileage training constantly is that injuries are going to hapen, it is nearly impossible to avoid, and as Marathon training forces high mileage training on you it will happen to you...its happened to me and i had an ankle injury linked to the inside of my calf....the funny thing is you know your hooked on running and your not just the casual jogger when an injury causes you to rest and you get irratable as you want to get out there again.....anyway watch the video and i will be back in next month just before the race itself .....

PS Marathon runners are crazy, thats for sure......

Well peeps, heres the result this Video says it all, did very well I think for my first attempt...but its a strange distance and it really does test you listen on...


No comments: